Solid Defense Solutions for Serious Charges in CA
Convictions for violent crimes carry severe penalties, so it is in your best interests to retain legal counsel as early in the process as possible. Hayden Smith is a Visalia criminal defense attorney representing clients charged with violent crimes for more than a decade. His first case was a murder trial and since then he has represented clients in dozens of felony cases and hundreds of preliminary hearings.
Violent Crimes in California
California Penal Code 667.5 defines Violent Felony Offenses. These include murder or voluntary manslaughter, attempted murder, rape, sodomy, mayhem, lewd or lascivious acts, robbery, arson, kidnapping, assault with the intent to commit a felony, sexual abuse, carjacking, threats to witnesses, extortion, burglary in the first degree, any felony in which the defendant inflicts great bodily injury, or felonies punishable by death or life in prison.
Prison terms may be enhanced for prior prison terms under the Three Strikes Law. When a defendant has prior convictions, the individual is at risk of an enhanced sentence, in which time is added to the prison sentence of the new crime. After a third felony conviction, there is an automatic mandatory sentence of 25 years in prison.
Criminal Defense Strategies
- Our Visalia violent crimes defense lawyer has the knowledge and experience to find a solution for you, including any of the following:
- Involuntary act: The defendant's actions were involuntary
- Abandonment: Proving that the defendant abandoned plan to commit a crime
- Self defense: An act committed by defendant with reasonable fear of serious injury or death
- Defense of another: The defendant was acting in the defense of another person
- Entrapment: The defendant was influenced by law enforcement to commit a crime
Call Our Visalia Criminal Defense Attorney
Hayden Smith advises clients about their defense options based on the specific circumstances. Our clients enjoy personal attention and aggressive representation from our experienced violent crimes attorney.
Contact the Law Office of Hayden G. Smith at (559) 664-6933 for a free telephone consultation to get the advice you need.